Search This Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Lazarus and the Rich Man


In the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man, Lazarus represents the millions of people waiting for crumbs from the table of the rich. The rich man in the parable represents all who never share their wealth, those who ignore the needs of others, those who are selfish and those who hoard their riches.
The parable is a call to all of us to help those who are suffering. We need to realize that we have more than we need and others suffer from a lack of basic necessities.
The parable also warns us to do good and share with others now while we can. When I die, it is too late! What will I share this day, this week, with those who are in need?
I am the rich one, dressed in good clothes with plenty to eat. At my door are those living in poverty. How will I choose to help them? This is what the work of justice is about in our world where the rich grow richer and the poor grow poorer!

No comments: