Search This Blog

Sunday, September 9, 2007

23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time


The alternate opening prayer for this Sunday has four sentences and is packed with theology and, for me, consolation; it is worth reflecting on today:
Lord our God, in you justice and mercy meet.
With unparalleled love you have saved us from death
and drawn us into the circle of your life.
Open our eyes to the wonders this life sets before us,
that we may serve you free from fear and address you as God our Father.
We ask this in the name of Jesus the Lord. Amen.


This prayer helps me to accept the words in today's Gospel (Lk 14):
"Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple."
and "anyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions cannot be my disciple."

I want to be able to both carry my cross and follow Jesus and renounce all possessions and do both with joy. I need to remember that in God justice and mercy meet; that with unparalleled love we have been saved and drawn into the circle of God's own life! We all have a cross to carry but without fear for God is our loving Father and never asks of us anything without giving us the grace for it. So, let us open our eyes to the wonders life sets before us today!

No comments: