Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Love came as a guest into my heart...


“Love came as a guest into my heart, my soul then opened, so that love could dine in me.” I love this quote that one of my students in my International Online Certificate Program in Spirituality Studies quoted from a mystic. I do not know the source, but the quote seems to be staying with me so I am going to write it again here:

"Love came as a guest into my heart, my soul then opened, so that love could dine in me."

It is a good introduction to a new book that I want to share with you. I have not read much of it yet as this is a very busy time and I seem to have several books at least partly read and none of them finished. This is one from Joyce Rupp. I had read her book on "Prayer" that was published last year and now she has "Open the Door: A Journey to the True Self". The article "the" is small and faint so the title reads as "Open Door". The contents after my quick scanning make me think that it is a book that I am really going to use. It is designed for six weeks with a daily reflection, a question, and a scripture passage to copy and keep before one during the day. Here are the Chapter headings (there is an Introduction, Suggestions for Using the Book and a Prayer for Openness before the Chapters and an Appendix with Rituals for groups after the Epilogue, As You Go Forth. There is also an extensive bibliography.
Chapter Headings:
1. The Door of Our Heart
2.Knocking On the Door
3. Opening the Door
4. Standing on the Threshold
5. Closing the Door
6. Beyond the Door


Rupp suggests 20 or 30 minutes daily to enter into the process of each day's reflection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sister Helen,

I am a fan for a few months now since I got the Heart issue that profiled you. Thank you so much for your inspiration.

Have a wonderful trip to Iona. I'm sure it will turn out to be a blessing for you and for all who will read your reflections afterward. Looking forward to it.

Liz Dougherty (Martin - Newton 62)

Helen said...

Dear Liz,
Thank you. It is so nice to hear from those who read the blog; I know Iona will be a grace and I shall write my reflections on the trip and post them when I am home.
Thank you for your comment. Helen