Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

58th Anniversary of My First Vows


I remember this day so well. I had a marvelous private retreat before it and Jesus was so present to me and I kept asking Him to let me realize what I was really doing when I took my vows and consecrated my whole life to Him. As I had had all the sports for the high school and seventh and eighth grade for the whole of my second year as a novice, I was allowed to go talk to the children that afternoon. I still remember standing on a bench so they could all see me as they crowded into the locker room; they wanted to see my vow crucifix and. of course, they had been present that morning when we were given our black veils. It was the octave of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and I had several days before going back to St. Louis to begin my active life as a religious. My family had not come for the ceremony as it was too far to travel since they would be seeing me in St. Louis. I went by train with one of the students so had to wait until vacation began. I was still so caught up in the grace of my vow retreat that I seemed to have had the grace of tears, but i think it was because everyone was so kind to me.

1 comment:

Alex Tang said...

Wow, Helen, this is such an important and significant occasion. Thank you for being such a blessing in my life.