Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary


Mary was never tainted with sin. We all believe that from the moment of her conception she was kept free from sin. She was to be the Mother of God. Jesus was like us in all things except sin. His mother had this special grace and so we pray, "O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to you." And Mary listens to us and helps us to live our lives today. We also pray every time we say a "Hail Mary":
"Pray for us now and at the hour of our death." It is consoling to have Mary praying for us, telling Jesus what we lack as she did at the Wedding Feast, and then telling us to "Do whatsoever He tells you."

In Advent we think of Jesus in the womb of Mary. Jessica Powers has a lovely poem called Advent that I used in my Christmas letter this year and I am still praying over it. I will need to copy it for you sometime as I am trying to get ahead and schedule the blog for when I will be in retreat next week. I think I may also be sharing some "Stations of the Crib" that I did one year for Advent. In the meantime, I like the idea of spending Advent in the womb of Mary.

No comments: