Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2018

Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe

The Feast of Christ the King is celebrated on the last Sunday of the Liturgical Year. The next Sunday will be the first Sunday of Advent and the start of a new Liturgical Year. As always, I like to emphasize the Collect of the Mass so here it is:

"Almighty ever-living God, whose will is to restore all things in your beloved Son, the King of the Universe, grant, we pray, that the whole creation, set free from slavery, may render your majesty service and ceaselessly proclaim your praise."

That makes me wonder how I am ceaselessly praising Christ, my King. I suppose that gratitude is one way to praise and I am grateful for all. We live in a world full of beauty and wonder.

I have always loved the quote at the end of the second reading from the Book of Revelation: "I am the Alpha and the Omega", says the Lord God, "the one who is and who was and who is to come, the almighty."

The important thing to remember is that Jesus told us that his kingship was not of this world; he washed the feet of his friends, did not seek power or riches but lived a simple life at the service of all.

No comments: