Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Feast of St. Stephen


It has seemed strange to me to celebrate the feast of the first martyr on the day after we rejoice in the birth of Jesus. Of course, Jesus came to teach us that we are to expect persecution and "whoever endures to the end will be saved."

In the Collect of the Mass we pray "that we may imitate what we worship, and so learn to love even our enemies, for we celebrate the heavenly birthday of a man who knew how to pray even for his persecutors."

In one week, I shall be going to the Guided Imagery Retreat right on the ocean in the Dominican Vacation House in Santa Cruz. I count on prayer for that week as it is powerful and the images do come, much to my amazement! I am convinced that the Lord speaks to us in so many ways and the imagination is one that does not lie. My images have been vivid and lasting and helped me to deepen my interior life.

No comments: