Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Books

Again I am having trouble with this new format and do not seem to be able to upload the picture I have selected. Therefore, today no picture but a list of books that I have been reading and will pass on some information about them for those who wish to do some good spiritual reading.

The most recent book that I have finished is Philip Newell's "A New Harmony: The Spirit, The Earth, and the Human Soul." I think I mentioned that we have chosen it for the next book for our Reflection Group. It is easy to read and gives you much to think about. I especially like the way he weaves in some of his own experience and wish I could see how to use my own experience more to connect with spirituality and theology.

Then, for those who like a little book to use daily for Lectio, Macrina Wiederkehr has "Abide: Keeping Vigil with the Word of God." I especially like her selection of Scripture quotes and her encouragement to reflect on them before reading her brief commentary each day. I think it is a book I will be keeping near me for those moments when you do not know exactly what you want to take to prayer.

There is a delightful book from Dr. Alex Tang (as a former student, I have his blog listed on the side and it sent me his latest book); the title is "Tales from the Monastery: Spiritual Formation the Asian Way." I am enjoying it, but think I did not finish it and must return to read more tales.  This was published by Armour, 2012, and may not be available in the United States.

I enjoyed reading Georg Ratzinger's "My Brother, the Pope." I am sending it to my sister. This is another easy to read book that really does help one understand the Ratzinger family background.

I suspect that is all for today, but I will continue to post as I am working backward in the notebook where I keep a record of all the books I buy and read every year. I have just begun to list these so stay tuned.

No comments: