Search This Blog

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Today I had no trouble opening my file and adding a picture of books. I do not have my list of books with me at the computer so will not be adding more but will go back to tell you that I think good spiritual reading is essential and we all need to make time for it. I also think we need to take some time to read Scripture; I was told that I should read at least ten minutes in the Old Testament every day as well as ten minutes in the New Testament. I am sorry to say that I did not follow that advice, but it is never too late to start and at least I am passing on excellent advice.

For several years recently I had spiritual direction with a holy and wise Sister of the Cenacle, an order that has always stressed helping others spiritually, especially through retreat work and spiritual direction. She told me that when she was a young nun, her Mother General came to visit and told her that she should do one hour of spiritual reading every day; that this was just as important for her as her prayer. She was faithful to this and when others would ask her how she found time to read so many spiritual books she would just say, "I do not watch television." One can find an hour for spiritual reading, if one just gives up television!

I may not get an hour a day, but have always tried to find at least a half hour; teaching theology and especially courses in spirituality, made me read many spiritual books to keep up in my field; now, that was helpful, but spiritual reading should be chosen to nourish your soul. Check your bookshelves and see what has been there waiting for you to pick up and read. It is fine to begin with the Bible - look for your favorite passages and be sure to feel free to mark up your Bible and any spiritual book you are reading. That is why I find it hard to read a spiritual book on Kindle; I need to highlight passages in color and be able to easily flip back and forth through the book. As much as I love my Kindle and love being able to carry a library around with me, I will keep buying books that I can hold, cherish, and keep on my bookshelves for easy access.

No comments: