Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2007

Christ, Our Rock


In our beautiful chapel at St. Thomas University, the base of the altar is a wonderful rock brought from the ocean from the Keys. It has a couple of deep holes that are like the "cleft in the rock" and I find God there. Some may prefer the "cave of the heart."
Anyway, I read a good quote today from Teresa of Avila that I want to share with you. It is from the 4th mansion in the:Interior Castle:
Love consists, not in the extent of our happiness, but in the firmness of our determination to try to please God in everything.
I like the quote because we do try to please God in everything and now I shall just concentrate on trying to make my determination very firm, constant, and generous.
Ignatius of Loyola says that love is proved by deeds rather than words. I have another quote that is from a little booklet Prayer for Finding God in All Things.
Love is a decision shown more by deeds than by words, by accepting people as they are rather than by trying to change them. I am called to spend myself for those who need my time and energy, my patience, generosity, and wisdom; love calls me to be present to another with such attention and reverence as will lead me to find God's presence in that person.

No comments: