Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Feast of the Assumption


Today we celebrate Mary's being taken up body and soul into heaven. The Feast of the Assumption of Mary was proclaimed a dogma to be believed by Pope Pius XII in 1950. The feast had been celebrated for centuries as it always seemed fitting that Mary would be with Jesus. The Preface for the Feast tells us that "God would not allow decay to touch her body, for she had given birth to your Son, the Lord of all life, in the glory of the incarnation."

The French have a custom of bringing Mary the key to the house and the fruits of the harvest on this Feast. May we give Mary the key to our inner life with Jesus. Mary teaches us to penetrate into the Heart of her Son, Jesus. It is Mary who comes to us with her motherly presence when we are suffering. She consoles us, but her message is always the same: Do whatsoever he tells you.
When I first went to Chile without knowing the language, I felt Mary's presence in a tangible way for many months. She still comes to me to guard my interior life and show me what is essential; she still says:Do whatever Jesus tells you to do.
So today I proclaim with Mary her Magnificat:All my being proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my Savior...

No comments: