Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"Take courage, it is I"


Jesus is our Light and brings us safely home no matter how big the storm, no matter how long it lasts; we can count on him.

In today's Gospel(Mt 14:22-30) Jesus sent his disciples into a storm while he went up the mountain to pray. Much later, during the fourth watch of the night), he came to them, walking on the sea. They are frightened and think it is a ghost. Jesus says: Take courage, it is I.

Jesus so often says the same to me: "Don't be afraid, it is I." When Jesus is present we have no need to fear. He may even call us to come to him on the water as he did Peter. If I look only at Jesus, I will be safe. Peter, aware of the wind and waves was scared but had enough sense to call, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him and said: 'O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"

Since Jesus is always with us, there is no reason to be afraid, even when he asks us to get out of the boat and walk on the water. If he sends us into a storm, he is still watching over us, still saying, "Fear not; I am with you."

No comments: