Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2008

St. Raymond of Penafort


We still are in the Christmas season although everyone is back at school and work today. I knew nothing about St. Raymond who was a Spanish Dominican; he was also a professor of philosophy and a lawyer. He organized the papal decrees and this became the basis for the code of canon law. He also wrote practical guidelines for the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

I want to share a poem I love written by Carmen Smith, RSCJ. She was a wonderful English teacher and taught me in high school. This poem is called "Prayer for Latter Days" and was published in On the Way Home: Reflections for Old Age" edited by two RSCJS, Frances Makower and Joan Faber.

I want to grow old
comfortably,
life hanging on my shoulders
like an old sweater-
warm and loose
And shapeless.

Let my days and nights
move slowly
taking my shape,
old shoes-
looking like me
even when
I'm not wearing them.

I have loved life,
all of it,
an old friend-
faithful
to the very end.

Make me ready, Lord
to slip off
shoes and sweater
Wen my spirit
puts on eternal youth.

No comments: