Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Life-giving Water


I cannot get away from water images! Today, I finished reading Richard Rohr's latest book, Things Hidden: Scripture As Spirituality. He both begins and ends with a quote from St. Symeon, the New Theologian, who wrote in the late 10th and early 11th century. I think it is a book to be read by anyone who wants to think; Richard makes you go back to Scripture and connect the dots, look for patterns, and really see some things differently. To quote from his opening passage from St. Symeon:
"What is this awesome mystery that is taking place within me?
I can find no words to express it; my poor hand is unable to capture it
in describing the praise and glory that belong to the One who is above all praise,
and who transcends every word..."

Rohr says that inner experience is important and he thinks it is really what prayer is and gives us an inner authority. He takes some of the prime ideas of Scripture and connects the dots. It is a book that resembles life-giving water! It will show you as the title says: Hidden Things: Scripture As Spirituality.

2 comments:

Poetryman said...

the heart rises with sun over still waters.

Helen said...

Thank you. I like that image of my heart rising over still waters with the sun and have had that experience.