Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Feast of St. Matthias


Matthias was the apostle chosen to replace Judas. Since Peter tells us that there must be a new apostle who had been with them from the time of the baptism of Jesus until the resurrection, we know that Matthias had been present and therefore could bear witness to these events. The actual choice was made, after prayer, by casting lots as it was between Matthias and another disciple. The Acts of the Apostles tells us that Matthias was the one chosen, but then we hear nothing about his life and work. However, the Church celebrates this silent apostle today.

John's Gospel (15:9-17) contains many thoughts worth reflecting on today.
"As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love." How marvelous it is to be told by Jesus that he loves us as the Father loves him and that we are to remain in his love!
Jesus also says that "if you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love." Jesus tells us this so that his joy may be in us.

Later, Jesus tells us that we are his friends. "I have called you friends because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father." When Jesus went to pray, he listened and heard his Father. What happens when I go to pray?

Finally, the passage I love and chose for my golden jubilee card: "It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain..."
We are loved. We are chosen. We are called to remain in his love.
Let us thank Jesus today for not only calling us friends, but for befriending us!

No comments: