Search This Blog

Monday, May 12, 2008

Lord


LORD is one of my favorite ways to address Jesus. Peter used the title when he said, Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you! Although we use Lord as a title for Jesus, for the Jews in the Hebrew Scriptures, Lord refers to the one God, "Yahweh". They substituted the word Lord in most of our translations.
Eventually the title was applied to Jesus and one of the earliest professions of faith was simply "Jesus is Lord." I also love John calling out "It is the Lord!" when Jesus was on the shore and the disciples did not recognize him until they caught so many fish that the net was breaking.
The Little White Book ended with Pentecost, but it is a page in it that is causing today's reflection. It reminded me that when Mary goes to visit Elizabeth she says to Mary, "And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord (Jesus) should come to me?" Elizabeth also says, "Blessed are you who believed that what has been spoken to you by the Lord (God, Yahweh) would be fulfilled." Then Mary proclaims the greatness of the Lord.
Perhaps the reason that I love the word is that it is used for Jesus and speaks of his divinity and it is also used for God the Father. I know that when I say "Lord" I am speaking to Jesus but also including the Trinity by using this title. I always begin my journal with "Dearest Lord". Maybe it is good to reflect on the titles we use for Jesus as we move with the Spirit into this time after Pentecost.

No comments: