Search This Blog

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas Carols

I love to listen to Christmas Carols and sometimes to take the words to prayer - some of the carols are ones I know (or at least knew) by heart when I was a child. I was in the parish school choir in seventh and eighth grade and we would go caroling in the neighborhood - at least we made all of our homes and were always given cups of hot chocolate and Christmas cookies before the end of our walk; sometimes it was snowing and we sang with such joy.
Here is one of my favorite carols that may not be among the ones most often sung today at church:

 God rest ye merry gentlemen
Let nothing you dismay
Remember Christ our Savior
Was born on Christmas day
To save all from Satan's power
When we were gone astray
O, tidings of comfort and joy
Comfort and joy
O, tidings of comfort and joy.

I guess I love all the Christmas carols and they are "tidings of comfort and joy." We are told to "let nothing you dismay". we are to deck the halls with boughs of holly for "'tis the season to be jolly" and we sing "joy to the world the Lord is come" - so let us rejoice and spread His joy and love to all this week. 

No comments: