Search This Blog

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Double Feast Day today

Today is the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe and it is also St. Madeleine Sophie's birthday; I took the habit and became a novice sixty-three years ago today and they have been such happy years. I am going to share today a poem written by William Blake in the 18th Century that seems to me to express something of my own "vocation within a vocation" that I feel is to pipe a song of joy to Jesus. This comes from "Songs of Innocence, 1789 and is the Introduction:

Piping down the valleys wild
Piping songs of pleasant glee
On a cloud I saw a child,
And he laughing said to me,

"Pipe a song about a Lamb",
So I piped with merry chear;
"Piper pipe that song again"--
So I piped, he wept to hear.

"Drop thy pipe thy happy pipe
Sing thy songs of happy chear;
So I sung the same again
While he wept with joy to hear.

"Piper sit thee down and write
In a book that all may read"--
So he vanished from my sight,
And I plucked a hollow reed.

And I made a rural pen,
And I stain'd the water clear,
And I wrote my happy songs
Every child may joy to hear.

I hope that I will get to write today! I am asking St. Madeleine Sophie and Our Lady to get me started!

No comments: