Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Memorare



This is a traditional prayer to Our Lady known as the Memorare.
I only learned this prayer when I was on the basketball varsity my second year of high school. It was thought to have been written by St. Bernard and infallible so we said it often and it has become my favorite prayer. I am not much on vocal prayer but do love and say the Hail Mary and the Our Father with great devotion, but I fall back on the Memorare when I am really counting on Our Lady. I usually say it when I begin driving in Miami as there are many crazy drivers out there and Our Lady seems to be protecting me for it is now over twenty-eight years since I have had an accident and that is an excellent driving record for Miami and I attribute my lack of even a fender-bender to Our Lady. She reminds me to say the Memorare each time I drive somewhere. So, here it is as I found out in the Busy Persons' Retreat that many do not know this very beautiful and efficacious prayer:

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession, was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

No comments: