Search This Blog

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe

I love the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. As I mentioned the other day, I took the habit on her feast way back in 1952 and I celebrate this anniversary with her every December 12. When I was sixteen, I spent most of the summer in Mexico visiting two of the students who were boarders with me at the Academy of the Sacred Heart. I lost track of both later, but have pictures of Georgina who spent the Easter vacation of our junior year with me. Then in June, my best friend and I spent three days and nights on a train from St. Louis to Mexico City. We were so innocent and made friends with everyone on the train. I started remembering this trip because the uncle of Georgina came to Mexico City to fulfill a vow to Our Lady of Guadalupe. He was a doctor in a small village and his wife was expecting twins; he promised to go barefoot to the shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe if she would take care of the birth of the twins. By the time I met him, his twin boys were several months old and he had come to fulfill his vow. I had not yet been able to go to the shrine and asked if I could go with him. He came for me in a taxi the next morning; he was barefoot but the taxi left us in front of the shrine. Many people were mounting the steps on their knees and the basilica was fairly full on this weekday morning. I was impressed by the picture, but even more by the people. They showed such faith.
I think we could move mountains, if we just had enough faith.


No comments: