Search This Blog

Sunday, August 13, 2017

"It is II; do not be afraid;"


This Sunday's Gospel is one of my favorites. Jesus made his disciples get into a boat after he had fed the crowds, but he remained to dismiss the people and then went up the mountain to pray alone. Meanwhile, the disciples in the boat were being tossed by the waves for the wind was against them. During the fourth watch of the night, Jesus comes to them walking on the sea. They are terrified but Jesus says to them, "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid." Peter immediately says, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water." Peter is so impulsive! Jesus just tells him to come. So Peter gets out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus. But then he gets frightened and begins to sink and has to call out, "Lord, save me!" Jesus stretched out his hand and caught Peter and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" They got into the boat and the wind died down.

I am not given to locutions but when I was a young nun I actually heard Jesus say to me, "It is I; do not be afraid."
It was a tremendous grace for me and I am so grateful; it has made this a favorite Gospel.

No comments: