Search This Blog

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Sunday are such a gift to us



When I was growing up, Sunday was a special day and one of rest. We still are free to choose how to spend this day that is the Lord's Day. Many go to church and thank the Lord for the graces of the week. I know that now some shop (no stores were open except for the pharmacy of turn on Sundays) and wash clothes but most plan the day so it is relaxing, and that is a way of resting. I remember that my Dad would get up and fix us a great breakfast and then we would all get dressed up for Church. In 7th and 8th grade, I sang in the Parish Choir and we wore black robes with white collars and cuffs. Then we would go home and my mother would put a roast in the oven and relatives would come later for Sunday dinner. It was a real family day. 
This Sunday's Gospel has Jesus proclaiming: "The Kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel." Then Jesus goes to the shore of the Sea of Galilee where he sees Simon and Andrew casting their nets into the sea. He calls them to follow Him. He calls each of us, too, to follow Him. How are we doing this today? 

No comments: