Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2020

God's Merciful Love - Forgiveness

Three times I have centered a picture into this blog, but the moment I begin to write, it vanishes. I do not understand this "update" and it has really caused me to be frustrated. Now, I am going to try again.

It did not want me to write under the picture, but I have managed to do so! The third day of the retreat was on God's merciful love and that always reminds me of the Good Shepherd. Actually, the hand out that we were given speaks of "Understanding what forgiveness is and is not" and then gives a definition of forgiveness from Robert Enright and colleagues. It is "one's willingness to abandon one's right to resentment, negative judgment and indifferent behavior toward one who unjustly hurt us, while fostering the undeserved qualities of compassion, generosity, and even love toward him or her."

It was good to go back over my life to see if I still held any resentment with anyone or any happening in my life.  I do remember some moments of resentment, but feel that I let them go but I stayed with the question: "Is God inviting me to grow in living some aspect of God's merciful, forgiving love? I think I need to be very careful to look for the good in each and not allow critical thoughts - a grace to be prayed for, but I know Jesus always looks for the positive.


No comments: