Search This Blog

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Here is the Collect for this Sunday:
O God, who in the abasement of your Son have raised up a fallen world, fill your faithful with holy joy, for on those you have rescued from slavery to sin you bestow eternal gladness...

I think it should be "from slavery from sin" but sometimes we have translations that are hard to follow - perhaps it does mean that we have been freed from slavery to sin - I guess I will just be asking in this Liturgy for all of us to be filled with holy joy.

The first reading is from Zechariah 9:9-10 and begins: "Rejoice heartily, O daughter Zion, shout for joy, O daughter Jerusalem!! See, your king shall come to you; a just savior is he...

The responsorial Psalm is "I will praise your name forever, my king and my God."
The second reading is from Paul's Letter to the Romans (8: 9, 11-13 and is telling us that whoever does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

The Gospel is worth praying over and is a favorite of mine, Matthew 11:25-30

I cannot copy all of it, but I love "Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

No comments: