Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Palm Sunday


 Palm Sunday is the first day of Holy Week. The entrance Antiphon tells us:

"Six days before the Passover, when the Lord came into the city of Jerusalem, the children ran to meet him; in their hands they carried palm branches and with a loud voice cried out: Hosanna in the highest!"

We will have Mass with the blessing of the palms before Mass, but no procession from the patio into the Chapel this year, I think, because we are better separated by being at our chairs which are six feet from anyone else and we all wear our masks all during Mass.

I love the first reading from Isaiah 50:4-7: "The Lord God has given me a well-trained tongue, that I might know how to speak to the weary a word that will rouse them. Morning after morning he opens my ear that I may hear; and i have not rebelled, have not turned back. I gave my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; my face I did not shield from buffets and spitting.

The Lord God is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame." 

Responsorial Psalm: "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?"

The second reading is from St. Paul's Letter to the Philippians 2: 6-11.

Then we have the reading of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ according to Mark. This is usually read in parts and really puts us into Holy Week. 

No comments: