Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

Lent and Deepening Identity


Yesterday I read the Sunday reflection given in Creighton University's Online Ministry. It left me thinking about Jesus in the desert. Why did the Spirit lead Jesus into the desert? I think it was to have time to ponder what the experience at his baptism meant. He had to reflect long and hard on those words, "This is my beloved Son." He had to accept that this was who He was and that he was being called to fulfill a mission that he was just beginning to get a glimpse of what might be in store for him. He was able to resist the temptations of the devil precisely because of his time alone in the desert contemplating God's word to him.
Now, here is my thought to reflect on today - we, too, are called during these 40 days of Lent to reflect on our identity. Who am I? What has God said to me? What is God saying to me now? Am I aware of all the stories that make up my history with God? Am I conscious of what the gift of Baptism is? What it really means to be a child of God? Let us use these forty days to pray, reflect, and become what we are called to be. Listen, God is speaking to us during this special time!

No comments: