Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

"Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder"


"Absence makes the heart grow fonder" is an expression we use without thinking; it means that it is good to get away and then even better to return with a new depth of love for those we have left and for the place, too. I think it makes us more aware of the good qualities of others and of one's own home. I found that I loved being with old friends this week and contemplating the ocean, but found my thoughts turning often to my community.
The workman are still painting my room!! They have been working on it for two weeks now and I hope they are coming today to try to finish it. It is lovely but lacks the doors, the finishing touches, the light switches and sockets are still exposed, and one wall seems to still need paint. It is a "delicate rose" and I think I will love it. The white woodwork stands out and I suspect I will want to add a couple of white pillows to decorate the bed. I am hoping it will all be finished by tomorrow so I can begin to move back into it, but I suspect that is still wishful thinking.
Today I hope to finish my presentation on "The Adventures of Lucile Mathevon, An Early Companion of St. Philippine Duchesne." It is a PowerPoint presentation and I think I am beginning to get excited about it myself!
It is good to be back in contact with all of you and I hope that we stay centered on the Lord Jesus as we move through this season of Lent. I am reading the latest book from Joseph Ratzinger, Pope Benedict XVI, "Jesus of Nazareth. Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection." I am finding it very thoughtful and will go back over it as soon as I finish it and mark up my favorite passages. Here is one - speaking of Jesus: "he acts and lives within the word of God...His path is a path into the heart of God's word." And then he says of the saying,
"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away."(Mat 13:31)"...the word is more real and more lasting than the entire material world. The word is the true, dependable reality: the solid ground on which we can stand, which holds firm even when the sun goes dark and the firmament disintegrates. The cosmic elements pass away; the word of Jesus is the true 'firmament' beneath which we can stand and remain."

1 comment:

Luxembourg said...

"Jesus of nazareth" is a very hard to put down book it spells out the true meaning of easter for those who want to strengthem their faith and for those who want to learn what easter is all about. Pope benedict has done a wonderful job putting into simple words what christs life was all about and what he did for us and his death and ressurection this little bestseller is clear and easy to understand and shows what easter is all about and would make a wonderful gift for a friend or family member.