Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Books

I have three new books to tell you about today but they have not really been read by me yet so I am not adding them to the list on the right of the blog, but think all three will be on that list when I have time to really read them. I have "dipped" into each. One by Richard Rohr looks as if it will be helpful for Lent. It has just been published (St. Anthony Messenger Press, 2011) and the title is "Wondrous Encounters: Scripture for Lent". There is a reflection for everyday of Lent with a brief passage from Scripture from the day's liturgical readings and a "starter prayer" which is a line or two that will help you to enter into your own conversation with the Lord. I think I will like it and Richard Rohr is an author who helps me to live attuned to the Spirit in real life situations.
Another book is from Edith Prendergast, RSC, "Grace Abounds: A Call to Awaken and Renew Your Faith". It is Ave Maria Press, 2011. This book is a collection of the talks given each year to open the Religious Education Congress in Los Angeles. They call us to enter more deeply into the mind and heart of Christ and contain gems quoted from many authors as Edith would spend months preparing this yearly keynote address. I think I will enjoy this for spiritual reading.
The third book is a spiritual classic that has been reprinted. It is Clarence J. Enzler's "My Other Self: Conversations with Christ on Living Your Faith."
(It is from Christian Classics, Ave Maria Press, 2010) Each chapter begins with a line from Scripture and then Jesus speaks. It is modeled on "The Imitation of Christ", a fifteenth century classic, and consists of conversations where Christ speaks intimately to the heart of the reader. I have only dipped into this and see it as a book to have handy on my bookshelf, but not one to read straight through.

4 comments:

Maria said...

Fr. Rohr's thinking is incompatible with the teachings of the Chuch viz his involvement with Call to Action and occultist practices.I am suprised by your endorsement of him.

Helen said...

Dear Maria,
The books I have read by Richard Rohr are compatible with Scripture and the teachings of the Church. We have been using his Hidden Things: Scripture as Spirituality in our Reflection Group and love it. He has spoken at St. Thomas University and I find him to be very much an ideal Franciscan priest in good standing with the Church which he loves. I have read several of his books and find them good and the little booklet for Lent is one that I think you might like to look at and it might help you to change your mind.

Maria said...

Are you unfamiliar with a Call to Action?

Helen said...

Maria, I am but that does not influence my reading of Rohr's books.