Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Contrition


Contrition is a Catholic word. I first learned it when preparing for Confession and had to learn an act of Contrition. It seemed to me that as a child it was just saying you were sorry and would not do it again - I guess we all do keep doing the same things even when we are sorry and promise not to do them any more. God knows our how weak we are and forgives us and asks us to forgive others as God forgives us. Here is an Act of Contrition that was sent to me today and I thought I would copy it for you:
Act of Contrition (modern)
My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart.
In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good,
I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things.
I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more,
and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.
Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us.
In His name, my God, have mercy.
Amen.

No comments: