Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2016

Joy is necessary



In clearing out and packing to go to California, I finally found a conference given many years ago by Reverend Mother de Lescure in Joigny in 1948. I was given it when I left St. Louis to go to New Orleans in 1952 and I love it. It has helped me so much that I now want to share a bit with you each day this week.

She begins by saying that joy must reign in all and everywhere: it must truly be the characteristic. They may say "that a sad saint is a sorry saint - well, I say that a sorry saint is not only a sad religious but a counterfeit religious.

Joy is Necessary
 1. Because our Lord wish it for all religious when He said to His apostles at the Last Supper-"These things I have spoken to you that My joy may be in you and your joy may be filled." Behold our goal is perfect joy - let us be rooted in happiness. The joy that he desires for us is not that which the world gives: "The joy that I give you no one can take from you." What a difference from that promised by the world...false joy, an ephemeral joy passing almost before one possesses it. While we fear always to lose it and the ardent prayer that rises spontaneously from the heart is to seek for some joy that is lasting. On the other hand, the joy promised by Our Lord is deep, true, ineffaceable. Even the crosses that He sends us cannot deprive us of this joy. It is God's will that we be happy. God loves a cheerful giver.

Continued tomorrow

No comments: