Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time

 The Collect asks that we may attain eternal life by keeping the precepts of the Lord.

The first reading is from Isaiah: "Seek the Lord while he may be found, call him while he is near...." 

I love that first verse from Isaiah 55: 6 and it goes with what we looked at in Psalm 139 - the Lord is here with us and wants to be found.

The Responsorial Psalm is from Ps145- the selected verses are worth reading but I am not copying them.

The Lord is near to all who call upon him.

The second reading is from Paul's letter to the Phillipians:1:20c-24,27a "For to me life is Christ, and death is gain."

The Gospel is Matthew 20: 1-16a The parable of the landowner who hires laborers for his vineyard. He does this at different times but gives each the same daily wage. The early hires are incensed for they have worked all day and except to be paid more, but the landowner says "What if I wish to give this last one the same as you? Am I not free to do as I wish with my own money? Are you envious because I am generous? Well, we can draw our own conclusions about the great generosity of God. But the parable ends with this phrase to think about: "Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last." Certainly a call to humility, too.


We are having Mass this morning - the first since the Feast of the Sacred Heart in June so it has been a long time.

No comments: