Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2020

Twenty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time

As usual, the Sunday Collect is worth praying:

"O God, by whom we are redeemed and receive adoption, look graciously upon your beloved sons and daughters, that those who believe in Christ may receive true freedom and an everlasting inheritance."

The first reading is from Exekiel 33:7-9 - the prophet is to warn the wicked....

The responsorial Psalm (95: 1-2, 6-9) "If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts."

"Come, let us sing joyfully to the Lord; let us acclaim the rock of our salvation.

Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us joyfully sing psalms to him.

 "If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Come, let us bow down in worship; let us kneel before the Lord who made us. For he is our God, and we are the people he shepherds, the flock he guides.

"If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

O that today you would hear his voice: Harden not your hearts....

Again, I find these first verses helpful to lead me into prayer.

How do you sing joyfully to the Lord?

The second reading is from Paul's Letter to the Romans 13: 8-10 and is a call for all of us to love one another.

The Gospel is Matthew 18:15-20

The last verse is "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them."

I find that last line so consoling.

The Communion antiphon is from Psalm 42: 2-3

Like a deer that yearns for running streams, so my soul is yearning for you, my God; my soul is thirsting for God, the living God.


No comments: