Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Cinco de Mayo


 Today is the Cinco de Mayo and, as many of our Certified Nursing Assistants are from Mexico, it is a day we celebrate. The food is Mexican and I am sure some will arrive in colorful costumes to help us all celebrate. 

I have a vivid memory of visiting Mexico when I was just sixteen years old. I went with my best friend and still wonder how I managed to convince my mother to let me go to visit the student that I had brought home for the Easter holidays. We were three days and three nights on the train and made friends with everyone in our car. We played cards with all men and we were so innocent that I am sure our Guardian Angels protected us all that summer. I did get to go on a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe and we so struck by the faith of all the people going up the steps on their knees. The doctor, an uncle of the girl I was staying with, had come to Mexico City after the birth of twin sons. He had promised to go to the shrine barefoot. I wanted to go with him. He said he would come by for me in the morning. He did, but we went in a taxi and he only walked into the Church barefoot. However, it was an experience that has stayed with me and I saw such faith in the many pilgrims. Lourdes is impressive, too, but the faith I saw as a teenager in Mexico impressed me.

My spiritual thought for the day: God takes delight in his creation. God delights in me and you.

No comments: