Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2021

The gift of a spiritual director


 Today I am again meeting with my spiritual director by zoom. It is a grace. I would hope that each of my readers has found a spiritual director or, at least, a spiritual companion with whom to talk to about all and everthing, but especially about your relationship with God. Sometimes, just trying to put into words what is going on in our interior life brings clarity. It is good to reflect back on the way we are spending our time, especially our time with God. Are we safeguarding it? Do we prepare for it? Are we able to let go of exterior things to concentrate on what God may be asking of us? Are we making time to just be with God?

I need to answer all of the above and much more. How am I spending my time? How am I loving others? What do I think God wants me to do? Am I taking time to reflect each day on what I have done and have not done; am I remembering to thank God for all He gives me each day? 

If you take time to reflect on these questions, you are preparing to share with a spiritual director. How do you find one? Begin for praying for one and then look around as now meeting on zoom is a real possibility and that makes it easier to find someone. It is better to look for someone with experience. I have had excellent directors and, also, a couple who were not especially helpful, but I think it is so important to look for one. It makes a difference in your spiritual life.

No comments: