Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Walking with Ignatius


 I will continue to say something about my retreat tomorrow but I have just finished the book, Walking with Ignatius by Arturo Sosa, SJ, Superior General of the Society of Jesus, in conversation with Dario Menor. I have also begun this book again this morning and now I am marking it up as I think there are many sentences that I want to go back and pray over. I know I have mentioned this book when I first bought it, but now I am hoping that the three RSCJs from the United States/Canada Province have a chance to read it before the Special Chapter.The last Chapter speaks of sharing mission and lessons in dialogue and openness. The Prologue is by Sister Jolanta Kafka, RMI, the President of the International Union of Superiors General. She ends her Prologue saying, "As you begin reading, I leave you, as words of guidance, this prayer of St. Ignatius taken from the Spiritual Exercises. It is the best way to feel that you are in his presence as, led by his spirit, you wander through these pages.

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will.

All I have and call my own, You have given all to me, to you, Lord, I return it.

Everything is yours; do with it what you will. Give me only your love and your grace, that is enough for me.

I also liked reading about the Universal Apostolic Preferences of the Jesuits and how they shape the mission of reconciliation and justice. This book as the back cover says is "to point to the experience of St. Ignatius as an inspiration for the deep conversion process vital for any individual, group, or institution who longs to make the joyful news of the Gospel present in our time."

Now, being a compulsive reader, I will go back and pray over parts of this book. I have several books waiting to be read so will need to find more time for reading in the next weeks.

No comments: