Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2021

Wring cards, reading books


 I am a firm believer of sending cards to people for many different occasions. I thought these first lines from a Dayspring introduction to their cards worth sharing with you today:

"Care that is felt, and then expressed, is like fruit from the vine that delights the heart, nourishes the spirit, and brings needed strength to the soul. Sending a greeting card that expresses the thoughts of your heart for a friend or loved one is a tangible way of showing your care. When you sign your name to a card you are saying, “Here is what is in my heart for you. Please receive it as something I truly want you to know and hear.” When you send a card you are really sending a little part of yourself.

Express God's Heart

A Christian card not only gives you the opportunity of expressing your heart, it also gives you the wonderful opportunity of expressing God’s heart. It tells the receiver that you care, and that God cares too."

I am behind in writing and I often just send note, not cards. And, of course, there are many good electronic cards, but I find that many of those I want to keep in touch with do not use email and so I do try to write notes or send cards every month or at least every two or three months. Time seems to pass quickly here at Oakwood. We finish breakfast, go to Mass and it is almost time for our main meal at 11:30 AM! Then supper is at 5:00 so my work day is quite short. I do have time for at least two hours of prayer each day and a couple of short walks, evening prayer with our Westwood community each night and, of course, I find time to read. There is a pile of good books by my chair now: Caste by Isabel Wilkerson; The World Is My Home by James Michener; Walking with Ignatius by Arturo Sosa, S.J., The Meal the Reconnects: Eucharistic Eating and the Global Food Crisis by Mary McGann, RSCJ (only a few pages left to read); Backpacking with the Saints: Wilderness Hiking as Spiritual Practice by Beldon C. Lane; Christ Through Mary: Powerful Prayers in a Time of Crisis by Janice T. Connell and I am also rereading Maria Cimperman, RSCJs book Religious Life for Our World: Creating Communities of Hope. 

I also have a few books on my bookshelves that I bought and have not yet had time to read!

No comments: