Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Water is so precious


 How often I take the gift of clean water for granted! California is suffering a severe shortage of water since we had very little rain and little snow; this is causing farmers to not plant some of the food we need. It is also causing the State to place restrictions on the use of water. I think we will not see any lawns beign watered nor cars washed, etc. Here at Oakwood, we began waterless days with paper plates and some sort of dinnerware that is just to be thrown away so I guess it is not plastic. This saves us all the water the dishwater uses. We also have ways of using a bucket in the shower when you first turn it on as that water can be used for the plants. The point I want to make is that we have this gift and we have taken it for granted. Other countries do not have clean water and often need to go a distance to get water. I do remember visiting a farmhouse when I was a child and they only had a pump for water. In Chile, I visited two of our communities who had no water. One was very poor and had to go to a common lavatory about a block away and carry a pitcher of water home. The other had rain water collected in barrels. That was outside of Concepcion where there was plenty of rain. Niether place had electricity. 

I did not expect to write about water today. Instead, I have another quote from Mother Stuart.

"When Our Lady goes with us all is well; she never leads us to defeat or discomfiture. There are no dangers so threatening, no difficulties so great, that she cannot and will not find the way for us to escape and to conquer them."

I am asking Our Lady to be with the people in the Ukraine at this time. I cannot believe that the war there is no longer on the front page of our newspapers.  We cannot forget that country that is fighting for its freedom. 

No comments: