Search This Blog

Friday, October 30, 2009

Former resting place of St. Philippine Duchesne


I spent the first morning of my visit at the Academy of the Sacred Heart in St. Charles, Missouri where Philippine Duchesne founded the first convent of the Sacred Heart in America. Now her tomb is in the shrine next to the convent and I prayed there for all. Later I will share more of my week in St. Louis, but today I want to post a morning prayer sent to me by a dear friend and faithful reader:

I watch this morning
for the light that the darkness has not overcome.
I watch for the fire that was in the beginning
and that burns still in the brilliance of the rising sun.
I watch for your light, O God,
in the eyes of every living creature
and in the ever-living flame of my own soul.
If the grace of seeing were mine this day
I would glimpse you in all that lives.
Grant me the grace of seeing this day.
Grant me the grace of seeing.

-J Philip Newell in Celtic Benediction

I also have another gem to share. I copied this from a sampler framed in the kitchen of a friend. Her husband is over 90 and this sampler was made by his great grandmother! I like what it says.
"There is so much good in the worst of us
And so much bad in the best of us
That it hardly behooves
Any of us to talk about
the rest of us."

No comments: