Search This Blog

Thursday, February 24, 2011

My sister's birthday

Today is my sister's 75th birthday. I called her this morning before she left for Mass and promised to pray for her at the noon Mass today at the University. I am writing my blog today in the computer room in the library at St. Thomas University as we are having the inside of our house painted and it is quite noisy, messy, and the computer is under a protective sheet. I just mention this in case you find me missing a blog tomorrow.

I continue to read about Mother Duchesne and Lucile Mathevon and the first days of the Society of the Sacred Heart in America. It is fascinating to read as Philippine arrived in the Missiouri territory; Missouri was not yet a state in 1818. However, after the War of 1812 was over, many settlers were arriving in St. Louis founded on the banks of the Mississippi. Philippine wanted to make a foundation in St. Louis but there was not a house to be found and the Bishop was firm about starting the first school west of the Missouri river in St. Charles. And so we began a school there amid great hardship.

The responsorial psalm for this Sunday's response is "Rest in God alone, my soul." I think I hear God saying this to me today.
Here is the first verse taken from Psalm 62:

"Only in God is my soul at rest;
from him comes my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my stronghold;
I shall not be disturbed at all."

No comments: