Search This Blog

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Janet Erskine Stuart on Prayer


As a spiritual director, I am drawn especially to the advice given on prayer to those who wrote to her. You may also enjoy some excerpts from her letters about prayer:
"You are quite on the right track, it is the gift of your heart that God wants above all in prayer, that you may both give to Him and receive Him. Keep it always uplifted with great expectations. "Expect, expect again." God loves us to expect from Him, because He loves to give Himself to us. If we only believed this, as we profess it, how close our union would become and how blessed our work would be."

That quote gives me much to reflect on so I will stop here and let you do your own reflections. I did want to share one thought from my retreat about using the Gospel meditations and the five senses. It really helps to take an apparition and try to see, hear, feel(touch), smell and taste. I found it made me feel very present in each Gospel scene and then I could just be there.

Our reflection group met on Thursday evening and all seemed enthused about the book we are using this year: (The New Spiritual Exercises in the Spirit of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin by Louis Savary). I have mentioned the book before as I find it a transforming one and began to use it last April. It is really a retreat in daily life and so I am going slowly through it and marking it up!

No comments: