Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Each one discerns about her prayer life...

I am just continuing to reflect on #25 in the Constitutions of the Society of the Sacred Heart because there is so much that can be applied to anyone's spirituality... Here is the thought to reflect on today:


Each religious finds her own rhythm of prayer
and will decide how best she is to be faithful
to what Christ asks of her and of the Society.
She will discern the method and style of her prayer-life
with a person of her own choice,

I am convinced that each of us prays according to our own unique personality. We discern what God is asking of us as far as the amount and kind of prayer; I have always done this with my spiritual director. Usually, a director will just affirm one's method and style of prayer. I sometimes might give some suggestions to my directees, but usually I tell them that the best way to pray is the way they pray best. Prayer is the expression of a relationship that is unique because each of us is unique so it is better just to encourage and let the Spirit lead...
Thomas Merton said, "How does an apple ripen? It just sits in the sun."  I think that is an excellent description of prayer. 

No comments: