Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Eve of the Feast of the Sacred Heart

I realized this morning that no one had signed up to cook tonight so I made a huge pot of chicken vegetable soup and it is simmering away on the stove now as I sit here contemplating this flower blooming beside a lake. I am also remembering all the eves of this Feast as we used to fast the day before the Feast.
Last night's wake and funeral service for Ellen's Dad was very moving. I get teary when I just go to funeral homes; it brings back memories of losing my own parents and I feel for the children.

To continue with a bit of reflection on the Constitutions of the Society of the Sacred Heart as we were doing, we are on the section on community and so much applies to all of us. I was reflecting on #22 and will copy it again here:


22.

This contemplative attitude permeates our whole being,
helping us to live ever more united to Christ
in our relationships, our tasks and our ministry;
it becomes a powerful force
of conversion and transformation for mission.
In welcoming God's word
Mary gave Christ to the world.
In receiving the life of Jesus
we give ourselves with Him so that all may have life.

 Mary listened and responded to God's word as it came to her; how do I listen to God's word? Do I recognize it when it comes to me through a messenger sent by God? God speaks to us in so many different ways: persons, events, circumstances, and all of creation. "If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts." That is a prayer for all of us.
The last lines about giving ourselves with Jesus so that others may have life comes after the statement that we receive the life of Jesus. With Him we can do all things!


No comments: