Search This Blog

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Sacrament of Reconciliation

Now I move on to #27 in our reflections on the spirituality of the Society of the Sacred Heart as depicted in our Constitutions:


27.

Knowing our weakness
and our involvement in the sin of the world,
we participate often in the sacrament of reconciliation.
We joyfully welcome God's mercy
which renews our hearts
and moves us to restore communion.
We prepare ourselves for this sacrament
by the daily examen. (Canon 664)

First, it is important to know our weak spots; St. Ignatius says the devil studies each to attack where he finds a weak spot. I think that being aware of my weakness keeps me humble and relying on the Lord; we are also caught up in the sin of the world and so we seek God's mercy in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I think "often" means several times a year, not weekly as used to be required for religious by canon law. Actually, I find it good to be accountable, to take time to look with Jesus at the way my life is being lived and then ask pardon for what has not been pleasing to Jesus. I do find joy and peace and my heart is renewed with the grace of the Sacrament. I am not sure how faithful I am to the daily examen, but I do take time to prepare for the Sacrament of Reconciliation and bring both the good and the bad as I find this more helpful and I am grateful for the face to face encounter now. I

No comments: