Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

We learn to remain in silence

We continue to look at prayer in the Constitutions of the Society of the Sacred Heart to see how this helps our own spirituality today.


20.

In prayer we come to Him
with everything that touches our life,
with the sufferings and hopes of humanity.
We learn to remain in silence
and poverty of heart before Him.
In the free gift of ourselves
we learn to adore and to abide in His love.

"In prayer we come to Him" that is what prayer is all about: to be with Jesus. When we are really present with Him we bring Him all that touches our life - nothing is too small, nothing too big that it cannot be taken to prayer!
We bring the sufferings and hopes of humanity and this is important. I read the daily paper and wonder how we can continue to do some of the things we do; I used to get angry at the state of the world with war and injustice , destruction, and dishonesty...I found that by holding the glass globe that I have on my prayer shelf beside me each morning and confiding the continents etched on it to Jesus, one by one, I find hope and confidence as He loves the world and can do all things.
I bring to prayer all that is in my heart...and I learn to remain in silence before Him; He teaches us how to do this until it becomes a delight, a joy just to be with Him. Words are not needed. Remaining in silence requires poverty of heart and humility and love on my part. I am then content to just be with my Beloved and I am His!
We surrender our whole being to the One who loves us and we learn to adore and to abide in His Love! 

No comments: