Search This Blog

Monday, April 28, 2014

Books and More Books


It has been some time since I put out a list of good spiritual books; I have been promising to do it, but finally am doing it, although some I have not had time to read, but they are all good books are I would not add them to the list on the right side. The original list became so long that I have now one that says "Recent Spiritual Books." (I intend to update but not today)
I am beginning with one that I am now reading: Sandra Schneiders, Jesus Risen in Our Midst: Essays on the Resurrection of Jesus in the Fourth Gospel. This is a book for those who are interested in a solid theological look at the Resurrection as it is presented in the Gospel of John. The book is really a collection of essays and most of the essays were published earlier in academic journals. I find it excellent but deep.

Journey to the Heart: Christian Contemplation Through the Centuries, is a great look at the contemplation of mystics through the ages.

Michael Hansen, SJ. has a book, The First Spiritual Exercises: Four Guided Retreats. I have really not used this book yet, but am looking forward to doing so soon.

Gaitley, Michael E., MIC Consoling the Heart of Jesus" A Do-It-Yourself Retreat Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius is a book I bought on the recommendation of another friend and I actually used some of it during Holy Week; I think I like the title more than some of the piety I found in the book. However, it certainly rekindled my desire to console the Heart of Jesus.

Sara Young has written a book that my brother-in-law gave me, Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence. This is not a new book but has a daily brief message from Jesus as Sara learned to listen to Jesus in prayer with a pencil in her hand. The book has helped me to remember that I am supposed to be listening to Jesus in prayer; I was trying to read  the message for each day and I know my sister even takes the time to look at the Scripture passages that are listed after the message from Jesus, but I guess it is mostly sitting on my bookshelf. I think this is a book that could be helpful for those who are looking for some help with their prayer-life.

If you are reading this blog, you know how much I love the books by Ilia Delio. She has edited a new book, From Teilhard to Omega: Co-creating an Unfinished Universe.  I have only dipped into this book but really look forward to reading it. I suspect it is not an easy read but one that will be very worthwhile.

That is all for today; I have another half dozen books to add soon, but time is up now. I must just add James Martin, S.J.'s latest: Jesus: A Pilgrimage. It is easy to read and interesting but if you can only read one book about Jesus be sure it is Jose Pagola's Jesus:An Historical Approximation.

No comments: