Search This Blog

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time



Is any time really ordinary? I think not. The entrance antiphon for this Sunday begins: "God is in his holy place, God who unites those who dwell in his house; he himself gives might and strength to his people."

I am needing some "might and strength" - but my hope is in the Lord. Solomon received a wise and understanding heart from the Lord. I suspect we can ask for the same gift. One of the verses of the Responsorial Psalm says: "Let your kindness comfort me...let your compassion come to me that I may live...

Paul tells us in the second reading for this Sunday that: "We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose." We have been called and now we just need to trust God.  God is the treasure hidden in the field, the pearl of great price, so let us give all to possess God or really to let God possess us - our whole heart and mind and will.
Here is a quote from Pope Francis that I like and do not think I have shared yet:
"Letting ourselves be encountered by God means this: letting ourselves be loved by God."
He also has said: "The Lord is knocking at the door of our hearts. Have we put a sign on the door saying: 'Do not disturb?'

No comments: