Search This Blog

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time


Jesus asks us again in this Sunday's Gospel (Mark 8:27-33) "Who do you say that I am?"
This is the question that Jesus poses to each of us often for the answer may vary but it always indicative of what is influencing our inner life at this point in time. I think we need to reflect again today on how I am answering this fundamental question that Jesus is asking me? 
After Peter's confession of faith, Jesus began to teach his disciples that "the Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and rise after three days. He spoke this openly. Then Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. At this he turned around and, looking at his disciples, rebuked Peter and said, 'Get behind me, Satan. You are not thinking as God does, but as human beings do." 
Then he will tell the crowd, and this means you and me, too, "Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it."

Much to think about in this Gospel. And the second reading from the Letter of James is also one to think about today. it is from James 2:14-18.

No comments: