Search This Blog

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Second Sundy of Easter, Divine Mercy Sunday


The Collect for today begins with "God of everlasting mercy, who in the very recurrence of the paschal feast kindle the faith of the people you have made your own, increase, we pray, the grace you have bestowed, that all may grasp and understand in what font they have been washed, by whose Spirit they have been reborn, by whose Blood they have been redeemed …."

The Gospel begins with the Risen Jesus having appeared to his disciples on Easter Sunday night, but Thomas was not with them. When the other disciples said to him, "We have seen the Lord," Thomas said, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."
So, one week later when Thomas is with the disciples, Jesus came and stood in their midst. After his greeting of peace, Jesus said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe."  Then Thomas says, "My Lord and my God!" But Jesus will say "Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed." 
We are among the blessed who believe!

No comments: