Search This Blog

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Earthquakes are no fun

On the 4th of July Southern California was hit by a 6.4 quake. The pictures showed all sorts of damage and people trying to get away. It, of course, brought back memories of the earthquakes I lived through in Chile. Our convent in Vina del Mar was completely destroyed except for the very back kitchen wing and children's dining room. It was a 6.5 quake and the aftermath was the worst for me as there was no water, no electricity, and sixteen of us slept in the children's dining room for weeks after that quake. One adapts, but I am so glad this one was not worse. California is due, so they tell us, for another bigger one but we can only wait and pray that it will not take lives.
After I wrote this, (I try to schedule ahead) there was another 7.1 quake that has done much damage and I am sure that many people are living in fear in Southern California. The fact is that we are due for large quakes and no one can predict when they will happen. I think it is a call to put all in God's hands, but we also need to help those who have suffered now during these last two quakes in the South.

No comments: