Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

One of my favorite Gospel passages

Today the Gospel is Matthew 8:23-27 where Jesus gets into the boat and goes sound to sleep. A violent storm started to swamp the boat, but Jesus continues to sleep. The disciples wake him, saying: "Lord, save us! We are perishing!" Jesus said to them, "Why are you terrified, O ye of little faith" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.

Now, I have been advocating among my large community here that we share some of the Gospel passages that have a story in our own life. This is one that I love as I often have had the image of being in a boat with Jesus but sometimes he seemed so relaxed that he went to sleep and left me feeling helpless, especially if the waves were rough and the wind strong. I felt this especially when I was sent to Chile straight from Rome without knowing a word of Spanish. Now, I still feel that I am in a boat with Jesus, but he is the pilot and knows our destination and I am relaxed and just happy to be a passenger without having to do anything, but just be there with the Lord.

No comments: